Kedleston Road throughout time!
This tinted postcard from about 1905 looks down Kedleston Road towards Allestree from the junction at Cowley Street. On the left are the shops; the butchers on the corner of Redshaw Street and Howard & Co. The barbers, dry-cleaners and takeaway are were still private houses at this date, with walled front gardens. You can't imagine any photographer daring to stand on this spot now to take a similar shot!
This postcard shows Kedleston Road just over 100 years ago. On the left, on the corner of Bromley Street, is the chemist’s shop, owned by Calvert Daykin Turner, this was also the sub Post Office so the post box can be seen outside.
In later years, owner Frank Orrell, turned the shop's right hand side into a wine merchants.
Notice the tram in the distance travelling towards us. Route 8 ran up Kedleston Road terminating near Cedar Street. Broadway did not exist, there was only the narrow Penny Long Lane.
A horse and trap are heading towards Derby. There are a number of bicycles and prams in the picture and also a delivery cart with three wheels – a busy scene but one very different from today.
First World War Starts
This postcard, from about 1914, shows Kedleston Road parade in more detail. There were now three shops on the parade: George Ride (greengrocer); James Howard & Co (grocers) and Robert Irish (butcher). Mr Ride grew much of the produce for his shop on land where Arthur Hind Close is now. One of the shopkeepers is standing outside reading a newspaper with a companion. The Post Office was still inside the chemist’s shop.
In the 1920s, this was the view from White St corner looking along Kedleston Road towards Allestree. There is space either side of the tram tracks, with the overhead cables being supported by the elaborate cast iron brackets. Trams ran until 1932-1933 when they were replaced by trolley buses, which ran until 1967. The terminus for the trolley buses was the bottom of Markeaton Lane.